Sunday, August 06, 2006

Travelling Tatyana












Exciting update:

Scouting locations confirmed!

Tatyana and her Booty Doc are going on the road in less than 2 weeks to:

- Miami, FL
- Greenville & Spartanburg, S.C.
- Atlanta, Georgia
- L.A., CA
- Las Vegas, NV
- New York, NY


...and all around Toronto when I make it back!

I've been so fortunate to travel all over Canada and parts of the US for various projects I've been involved in, but there are still a few firsts for me on this list.

Another first: travelling for this long SOLO. I've always been an independant person, but I suppose I've always taken for granted having a team behind me wherever I've been. In fact, the MTV Diary I shot in Vancouver this past winter was the first "one-woman crew" shoot of my tv career. And the only damage done was to my cell phone bill via roaming charges -- the result of dialing up a friend every time something interesting happened to me!!

I guess this is where blogs come in handy...

So I have travelled alone. In short bouts. Most of the time knowing other crew members would be on their way in a few days to "rescue" me.

I remember being completely overwhelmed by Dallas, TX a few years back. I flew into the city a couple of days early (ahead of the crew) to get the lay of the land and get comfortable with the roads... ok, I will confess, I also tackled a few malls on well-plotted maps... The thing with Texas was: everything really was BIGGER. Bigger cars, bigger malls, bigger portions (including at Denny's where meals in general already border on "family-size")... even the lobby of my hotel was like nothing I had ever seen: it was a HUGE courtyard with fountains and a cobblestone patio, and two magestic glass elevators situated right in the centre of it all....




What else about Texas?
Couldn't help but notice how many luxury SUVs were everywhere, people walking to their destinations nowhere, an abundance of beautiful, well-groomed "belles", the lack of real milk or creamers for coffee (everyone uses coffee whitener aka rat poison), Abercrombie-clone teenagers in flip flops (even though it was winter and there was a light snowfall that day), and Sephora (which means a lot less these days, but back then, it was a rare, exotic paradise)... and cheerleaders. Well, it was the National Cheer Championships -- the whole reason we were there in the first place.

I can't wait to explore once more. Atlanta is especially intriguing to me, based on many preconceived notions I have on life there -- soon to be proven right or wrong.

Stay tuned....

Tatyana

No comments: