Thursday, August 31, 2006

New "Bootylicious" Role Models Wanted -- Apply Within!

I've had my first majorly negative response to this project. Bootys, self-acceptance, body-loving... I'm sure you're thinking "how could this be?" Well my friends, it can be. And, from a most unexpected place imaginable: Camp Beyonce.

Pretty much every girl with booty out there that I've spoken with has mentioned that they idolize J.Lo and Beyonce. J.Lo has fallen off our radar for the most part, without any new albums or movies (or perfumes) in the last little while, and I've always identified more with Beyonce's curves, so I went about trying to connect with her people to see if she'd like to be involved.

As you may or may not know, she's also a designer now (more accurately, her mom is) and has launched Dereon and House of Dereon. I approached the PR reps for Dereon (soooo eager to find out if the line would reflect the womanly body of Beyonce herself) to see about setting up something. The reply - good luck but no thanks. I realize that on the totem pole of status and tv programming, I'm barely a rung, but how could anyone associated with the Booty outright say no to such a venture without even the slightest bit of curiosity? I was surprised and disappointed.

Then, I started to read that Beyonce no longer wants to be associated with the term "Bootylicious". A little part of me died when I heard that -- here was the first real role model for today's generation of teens and women who had single-handedly coined a new term and welcomed in the booty phenomenon, now turning around and losing weight for a film role and denouncing anyone who calls her bootylicious. I can understand how one would get tired being known for one isolated body part, but at the same time, look at the impact it has had on body acceptance and women everywhere!

So, when I found out that Dereon would be at the trade show, I decided to pop by for a visit and see if I could get a clear answer to this mystery. I was also still eager to get a quote on booty and body image from Beyonce's mom, as she had been designing sexy outfits for her fabulously curvy daughter for a long time. I popped by the booth, and was met by a young, overwhelmed girl with a clipboard. I dont think she understood what I was asking, but she grabbed my card, disappeared into the "By Appointment Only" area of the booth (I don't believe I saw any such rules for any other booth in the entire show), and reappeared to tell me the PR rep's schedule was open all day tomorrow and I was free to stop by then to chat with him. It was the same rep I had been in touch with months back, so I figured I would try to say hello in person and explain what my project was really all about and at least find out a bit more about the line. I'm trying to make sure I'm up to date on all relevant brands as they pertain to women and body image....which involves research.

When I came back the next day, I asked the same girl to see the rep and she guestured beside her -- he was sitting there on his Blackberry. I introduced myself and was cut off with a sharp, dismissive "look, as I told you before, we're not interested" or something rude to that effect, before resuming his typing on the Blackberry.

I was floored.

I continued, explaining that I was at the trade show meeting other designers and wanted more info on Dereon, especially because Tina has gone on record saying she's designed for curves for a long time. Those who know me know that I'm always polite and hate misunderstandings...so I wanted to make sure the air was clear.

He insisted that perhaps I wasn't understanding him and continued to repeat over and over "not interested." It was more the tone and dismissiveness that caught me off guard and prompted me to try to defend myself. Why was I asked to come back in person, to be snapped at? Or did the vapid little girl with the big clipboard create a bit of confusion in the message sent and received? Regardless, here was this rep, who was supposed to be dealing with the press and handling their questions, dismissing me and barely letting me speak.

I tried one final, polite-as-always approach: "as a journalist looking for information on the brand, you are telling me that you wont even give me press material, which is for informational purposes?" And he replied with....well, let's just say he could have been on an audio loop....

At this point, I was shocked, angry, confused and.... angry! I had never been spoken to that way by anyone I've approached for any project. Realizing the dead-endedness of the conversation, I said "that's too bad" and left.

I know PR reps are an often stressed-out bunch, dealing with persistent, rude people, but I am shocked at the level of social skills of a select few I've met. Especially because I am a super non-aggressive person and always approach people with graciousness and compassion.

So I've been left to make my own assumptions. Maybe the line doesnt want to be associated with Booty in any way, shape or form... it's very possible. But to think that this is the brand behind the WOMAN that sooooo many girls thank their lucky stars made the booty famous so that they could feel accepted, makes me feel ill.

The irony in all this is that I've never really been keen on celebrity in documentaries. I feel that throwing a celebrity comment in a film builds exposure and an all-too-easy way to get eyeballs... I'm far more interested in the down-to-earth, unaffected women out there, making waves and a difference without the luxury of the open door that celebrity-status offers. In this case, I just couldn't escape how many women quote the song Bootylicious and Beyonce as a role model.

But, in a film about women, empowerment, self-acceptance, and lovin' our curves, there is no room for rudeness and ego. Not much I can do, other than find new role models through my film for girls to go goo-goo over!

I'm over it. Find me a new Beauty with Booty!

Tatyana

No comments: