Sunday, August 20, 2006

Recap -- second day in Atlanta

Sunday was a quiet day.


(an immaculately dressed family leaving church)


(The view from my hotel room)

I decided to do something touristy so I strolled around the Coca-Cola museum.


Atlanta is the birthplace of Coca-Cola so the museum was jam-packed full of memorabilia and interesting activities.


(the running tab of how many cokes have been purchased worldwide!)

One of the coolest things, which I’m sure most visitors will agree, is the tasting room. You can sample beverages around the world that Coca Cola manufactures. As I’ve mentioned, I love exploring and taking note of the tiny little differences in various cultures/places, so this was heaven for me. There was a Ginger Beer…. And more flavors of Fanta than you can imagine! Fanta will always bring me back to my first two summers in Greece as an adolescent, where orange-pop (but somehow nothing like the orange pop we’d get at McDonald’s kiddie bday parties) was the drink of choice. Here there was passion fruit flavor, apple, etc.



Wandered around the “Underground” a bit – the tour books said that it was the first part of Atlanta to be developed and when they finally built a larger city around it, they built OVER it as well! It sort of reminded me of Eaton Centre with less light. J Full of little tourist stands….loitering punks and teens….

Entrace to the "Underground"


The "Underground"

Then I drove to Atlantic Station – which has become somewhat of a phenomenon in Atlanta. It’s their new “Work.Play, Live” community – or something to that effect. At first I thought it was going to be like the new outdoor strip mega-malls that are taking off all over Canada, but it has more of a homey feeling, mixed with a European flair…. With pedestrian areas, a main courtyard in the centre with a park – and all of the restaurant patios fill out the perimeter… then you have several condo/townhouse complexes built in. Add to that a grocery store, a huge theatre, and there you have it – a little community unto itself.


(looks like a regular neighbourhood, hey?)

I wandered a bit but found the humidity too intense.... guess I've become spoiled by malls and their constant A/C -- the only flaw to Atlantic Station.....

That's it from Atlanta. It's time to move on!

No comments: