Monday, August 28, 2006

Still in So Cal....










My first meeting was in West Hollywood -- coffee at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf with a plus-size model. I kept her waiting, which I feel terrible about -- as I got stuck in...surprise surprise, traffic!!! We had a brief chat, and I tried not to getdistracted by the fact that everyone entering the store was trying to see or be seen. Ivory (the model) was lovely... definitely charismatic, and she filled me in on her career and the plus sizeworld. Definitely a girl I could see engaging people on the street to participate in streeters... as is the idea in my head at the moment. She divides her time between New York and L.A. (quelle vie!) and said that her latest campaign was alraedy out - a Drink Milk commercial. Has anyone seen it and if so, can they help put a link up for me? I'd love to see it. I didn't want to also be late for my next meeting, so we wrapped it up. It was a really nice way to start the day -- casual conversation with a vivacious person. She defineitely got my energy level up for the rest of my meetings... thank you, Ivory!

Off I went to my next meeting in L.A. was with a plus size lingerie company, Hips and Curves. It may seem like I have a ton of meetings set up with plus-size characters/companies. To be honest, I identify far more with their messages, vision and attitude then the handful of "booty girl" agencies and models I've been trying to connect with. It's more of a sense of community, and acceptance, and though this film is not about the plus-size movement, it's hard not to get drawn into the positivity this industry promotes. Most booty-girl agencies I've called have told me to tell them which girl I want and they'll "book" her for me. They just don't GET it.

So yes, I've been told that plus-size acceptance is a separate topic from what I'm trying to cover in my film -- perhaps, but if you check out the site and how these gals make a booty look fabulous, you might see where I'm headed... I had fallen in love with some of their photography of women on their site. The lingerie shots were so kickin that it never would have occurred to me that these women are plus size. To think that I’m still considered “straight size” and I don’t have the confidence to rock a pair of undies like that makes me want to know more. So I met with the owner, the manager and two models. This by far has been one of my favourite meetings to date.
We had a “round table” of sorts and I learned a ton. They talked about how they’re the first company to really embrace lingerie for plus sizes – and told me that thus far, companies have always brushed off the marketing and promotion of the plus size items they produce. They showed me a couple tags for silky teddies that were STUNNING, but when you look at the model on the price tag/brand tag, the photography is mediocre. This is where they are making their mark – they are celebrating the delicious curves of women out there and showing girls that they can be and ARE sexy. Case in point – one of the models at the meeting had been approached by one of the girls – having never modeled before she was hesitant but has become a favourite of theirs. I had the added treat of seeing both girls try on a corset/panty combo and a teddy – and all I can say is WOW. Curves are hot and I’m convinced that lingerie looks better on plus size, fit women then regular ones! I tried not to have a tinge of envy (but couldn’t help it) when I saw the girls’ amazing boobs jutting out and defying gravity in the corset!!! The owners even have a stripper pole in their office – all about creating the sexy, empowered mood to get the photos and the imaging they need!

I left their office feeling very excited and realizing that I have a ton of companies that want to show me how sexy and empowering a photo shoot is for their brand and the women promoting it – I wish I could do an entire film about photo shoots but realistically, I can use only one with that angle (although I have a couple of creative ideas for doing more that that!! Shhhh, it’s a secret for now!!)

With some time to kill, I headed to Venice Beach. Ahh, just the weather here makes you want to get active and be healthy. It's interesting that this would be the case, considering the thick layer of smog you have to pass through when your plane lands in L.A.....

I got a little picture happy:















































This last picture might not look like much, but it bears a striking resemblance to what I remember of Greece.... (havent been in 4 years). Another thing, the minute I stepped out of my car, the smell of salt water hit me right in the face, bringing me back to summers in Greece by the beach. It never ceases to amaze me how powerful scents are in terms of triggering memories. I've got a super-sensitive nose too, as I've discovered over time. Scents have more of an impact (good and bad) on me then most. The salty air had a nostalgic soothing effect.... almost enough to make me forget about the maddening traffic....almost....

You know you're traveling on business when:

Your room has TWO comfy chaise lounges and instead of using them for their actual purpose, they become a dumping ground for your various gear, notes and other work paraphernalia...




My most exciting find this evening was stumbling upon a nearby Whole Foods -- that'll boost a gal's spirits....

The next day, I met up with Tonya, one half of a body-image empowerment through multimedia duo: Curvolution. We met in the lobby of my hotel – so gracious of her because I’d had enough of getting lost and stuck in LA traffic. I had found her company on the internet months before and had been reading the book her partner wrote that started it all: "I'm Beautiful, Dammit!" It's one woman’s intimate confession of growing up self conscious with her body and her dedication to changing women’s body image around affirmations…. Check it out, it’s a great read.

I had been eagerly anticipating meeting the author as well, as she even dedicated a whole chapter to growing up with small boobs and a prominent booty....but it was not meant to be. She lives in San Diego and just had her first child so the business is on hold at the moment and rightfully so. It’s also kind of nice that the anticipation of meeting this woman is quickly building…it’s unintentional but a great angle in case I chose to incorporate my first meeting with her into the film.

Tonya and I bonded over many things – she’s a woman working in kids tv programming at the moment, trying to expand her business and grappling with body issues. Through various projects she’s come to realize the power of empowerment…and the amount of women out there who want to have body confidence but don’t know who to turn to for guidance (save getting plastic surgery or jumping onto the hardcore diet and fitness wagon). Growing up in LA and with two young daughters, Tonya sees the pressure and wants to make a difference.

The company has some great things ahead in the future, and I'm hoping the timing will be right to follow them along. No, they aren't booty specific, but I'm crossing my fingers they will cast a lovely bootylicious performer for an upcoming show and we can follow the preparation from her eyes, which would then conflict with the "burlesque" storyline.... I've been trying not to deconstruct and overanalyze too many things yet, but as you can see, I have plenty of decisions to make ahead. I'll relish in my new experiences and meetings at the moment -- it's the only way I'll make it through....

Decidedly Derriere-rific,
Tatyana

No comments: