Monday, November 13, 2006

Waffle-size My Butt

So we're off on our first main shoot for "What A Booty!"

Our little trio boarded an Atlanta-bound flight in T.O. on Monday afternoon. It was already delayed by a half-hour when we claimed our seats, only to find out that due to a "fuel inspection error", we'd be delayed some more.

I don't think anyone would have believed that a fuel inspection form filled out incorrectly would lead to a plane-full of people stuck for 3 hours on the Pearson tarmack -- but it happened! First we were told it would be resolved "soon"... then a "little later"... then the stewardesses began trying to get various passengers on alternate flights... and at one point, many of us were told to disembark to try to catch another flight.... before we were ushered back on board. Three hours, folks.... before we took off.

Some of us found some well-needed release in free booze... others (namely me) fumed silently at a lost day. (I really needed to get to Atlanta by early evening to tie up some loose ends and have some meetings).

By the time we landed, got our rental car and made our way to our hotel, it was 12:30. What's a tired, famished traveller to do in Suburban Atlanta on a Monday late nite? Why, dine at the WAFFLE HOUSE, as there are no other options.

Let's just say it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. In other words, experience it once in your lifetime, if you indeed value your life. After scanning the gut-rotting menu (Denny's is 'diet-conscious' compared to this joint), I decided to order a "safe" omelette and toast. And I relaxed a bit. After all, we were in Atlanta... and the restaurant's ambience was fun ... old school diner-style complete with jukebox and "down home Southern" staff.

But all went downhill when the food arrived.

I had the crew in stitches as I tried to sop up the tablespoons of oil in which my egg mixture floated.... pure oil.... which pairs brilliantly (at least the cook seemed to think so) with the butter-drenched white toast. I couldn't find enough tissue to complete the mission.

A few bites, and I was done...The guys did slightly better....

Let's just say, with a fleet of Waffle Houses across Atlanta, I might just have caught an early glimpse into a potential cause of the city's "Booty Capital" status.

Lessons learned so far on this trip:

- if you're going to bring your laptop travelling (perfect for those 3 hour plane delays), make sure the battery is charged first
- when in Atlanta, dine before midnite if you value your arteries

Tomorrow we start filming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I get a little credit for using my photo of Waffle House?

redpac@Redpac.com