Monday, November 06, 2006

Big Apples in the "Big Apple"

So it's 7AM and I'm wondering how I'm going to manage through the day in NYC -- I wanted to be fully rested, knowing how on the ball you have to be around here....

My camera man (a local hire) calls me at 8 to tell me he's in horrendous traffic and wont be able to make the 9AM call time -- it would be more like 10AM. I'm suddenly so glad we decided to plan this as a full day shoot (9 hours) as opposed to the half-day I had initially envisioned (4 hours). Sarah's not due at my hotel until 10AM, so no worries.

I get my coat and decide to wander out for a coffee. It's the first time I've seen Times Square in a fairly reasonable state -- the last time I was here it was mid-summer and 24/7 chaos and congestion. Today, it's just people scuttling off to work... and, oh ya, a half-naked fireman (no NOT the naked cowboy!) being interviewed by some morning show in the middle of the Square.

For a moment, I'm willing to forgive New York everything...and I stop in my tracks to take in his tanned, muscular bod from afar. He's in his fireman's overalls, minus a shirt, and let's just say it was NIPPY out this morning. Where else in the world will you see such a sight at 9AM?

Grab my coffee, head back, fiddle with the gear for a bit...and soon enough both Sarah (my subject) and my shooter have arrived. Sarah is this beautiful, intelligent journalist working in NYC. She's been blessed with a majorly bountiful bottom, and has self-published an incredibly cheeky book about butts (scroll back through the archives to find out more about it). My kinda gal! I still find it so cool that we both have been operating on parallel paths and were able to come together for a common goal!

The plan today -- rig a hidden camera in her purse to capture the "rear view" of her life. New York is insane when it comes to forward catcalling... I've been on the receiving end far too many times, but I'm basically working with a quarter or so of what Sarah's blessed with. So I could only imagine what she goes through every day. I was about to find out.

We manage to reasonably rig the camera, and soon enough, with camcorder viewing screen in hand, Sarah wanders off. She's determined to get the real view, and fears our cameraman will scare off the true gawkers. So we play several games of cat-and-mouse with her, and at one point I start to get frustrated. After all, hidden camcorder footage is not nearly as important (or costly) as the professional camera we have with us that is unable to keep up with her.... But then I think, what would I do in her shoes? Probably the same thing -- get caught up in the experiment. All of these years she's had an idea of how people respond to her butt from the front, and catches the odd side glance...but now she had a full view of what was going on in the world behind her, unbeknownst to the people on the street. Of COURSE she was preoccupied!

We were stopped THREE TIMES in the course of 4-5 hours by various security guards, film personnel and cops. Each time, Sarah flashed her Police Press Pass (how much do you think THAT would go for on the Black Market??) and we were left alone. To be totally honest, the only reason I came to NYC to do this segment is because I knew Sarah would handle the cops. I've had my run-ins every time I've had a camera in hand... and just didn't want to deal with it again. First, a Hollywood movie set in the middle of a street with some random guy asking me who I was with and to get off "his set".... Next, a tiny little blonde who told me she was with Park management and asked for my permit to film there (meanwhile I was standing on the SIDEWALK, which I briskly informed her of). Can you believe she persisted? Then a security gard in another park....

We got the segment. At least I hope we did -- I have yet to view the rushes. Sarah was so professional and brave... taking it all in stride....
The men we did catch on film had some of the most exaggerated reactions I've ever seen -- and they didnt even know until after the fact that they were being filmed! (releases...) Couldn't have prepped them or choreographed it better myself! Good stuff... fun stuff!!

And once I was on my own again with a couple of hours before I had to head back to the airport, the attention returned to me. I caught far too many men leering and uttering the very popular and all-encompassing expression: "Daaaamn!" As though that says it all. Sarah also educated me that men will look immediately at your hips and thighs, to get a sense of whether your behind is worth checking out. Shouldn't have told me, because I became hyperaware of this bizarre fact for the rest of the day..... yes, she was right.

Toronto doesn't quite react to booty in the same way. And most men will bite their tongue and save their comments unless they're with friends egging them on. But not NYC -- everyone's fair game. All in all, not a totally bad experience. Our little crew of three made it work and got the job done!

But mark my words -- next time I head for the Big Apple, it will be strictly for pleasure! My sanity depends on it!

1 comment:

Gypsy In My Soul said...

I hope you were able to get what you had hoped for in NYC. Can't wait for you to get home and relay your adventures in the BIG APPLE.